Friday, February 22, 2008

Thing # 19 (Week 8) LibraryThing

I've used LibraryThing for both a personal book collection and for the summer reading program at my school. You can see on my blog where I added my father's railroad books - I created the list to share this interest with other train enthusiasts out there. I noticed that many people are using LibraryThing for online book clubs, so when our English department got together this year to select the summer reading books, I sent them a link to a YA lit club so that they could read some reviews of current literature.
This past fall, I catalogued last year's summer books and posted them on my library web site so that students would make comments, but so far no activity. This year, I'll make sure that they know about it beforehand. I'll also be able to use the recommendations for further reading feature for those students who want to read similar titles.
The LibraryThing for Libraries project that would integrate the features of LibraryThing with an existing OPAC really seems like a great leap forward. I noticed that it's mostly public libraries that are using this, but I think that it would be great for schools as well. Not only could students search by keyword and subject headings, but also by more familiar sounding tags. And they could also add their own reviews as well as reading others.

No comments: