Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Thing #16 (Week 7) Wikis

Wikis aren't all that new to me since I took a course last summer about them. I had high hopes that I could create a wiki as an alternative to our school's webpages, which I wasn't allowed to edit on my own :( I haven't updated the wiki that I started, but after reading more about them for this exercise, I'd like to try again. This coming September, I'll be a coordinator for Virtual High School and I'd like to be able to communicate with my students through one of these new technologies. I'm wondering if wikis are the best format to use. I'm leaning in that direction because even if the students are taking different subjects, the online learning will be a new experience for all of them. I know that they will be taking an orientation to Blackboard, but I'm sure that they'll have more issues that I can help them with. And with a wiki they can also help each other through the course.
Reading about all the different ways that other schools and libraries have used wikis makes me a little embarrassed that I haven't updated mine. I was really impressed with the Westwood school wiki, from the sample school wiki link - very organized and well thought out class presentation. And of course I'm always blown away by Joyce Valenza's high school website http://mciu.org/~spjvweb . I noticed that she's created wikis for most of the new links. I'm inspired!

1 comment:

bookwoman said...

Hi Paula,

As you are impressed with the work of others, I am impressed with your knowledge, thoughfulness and creativity. In looking over our Discovery Exercises for wikis, I began to wonder how I could incorporate them into my libraries. At all my schools, the web pages are the domain of the tech person. While getting a change in not impossible, it does take patience and their time. I like to be responsible for myself and it seems you do too. I like the thought that no matter what subject one is studying, learning th way around a wiki would be beneficial for all. That might translate very well to my elementary level students. You have given me much to think about.