Thursday, February 21, 2008

Thing # 18 (Week 8) Online productivity tools

This is a picture of my daughter Jennie (last one on the right) with her Irish Step-Dancing team that recently competed in the All-Ireland competition. They came in second! laughing First place went to an Irish team.cry

Part one...I'm writing this blog post in ZoHo Writer and I'm very impressed with it, especially with the emoticons! (Why can't I see them in Blogger? I tried importing them as pictures, but I couldn't insert them here.) It's nice to be able to write and publish within the same program. They also have several other applications like a spreadsheet program, etc. I'll try out Google Docs to see how they compare. On a related note, I'm using the OpenOffice suite on my new computer since it didn't come with Microsoft Office and I'd recommend it to everyone. My daughter Jennie, the step-dancer, is a free-lance pharmaceutical writer and she uses it for all her work. Why buy an expensive program when you can use an open source alternative that has all the features you need, plus the ability to save in any format? The only thing OpenOffice lacks is the web-based access, which would be a very desirable addition.

As a writer, my daughter has occasion to collaborate with her clients, so maybe she'd also like to use a web-based product like ZoHo or Google Docs. And I can definitely see how teachers could use the collaborative feature with student reports as well as for creative writing assignments.

Part two...Well, I just gave Google Docs a quick tour, trying to add and edit the subject as above, but it failed my test! I couldn't just upload the photo, but had to insert it as an image. However, when I did so, the upload failed - maybe the file size was too large. Also, I couldn't find any place where I could add any comments in balloons or any emoticons. Now, I'm not the type to elaborate my writing with all that stuff, but it was appropriate for the text of my blog. So, maybe Google Docs is a tad more serious than ZoHo? I didn't try out any of the other applications, so I can't comment on them.


No comments: