Sunday, January 20, 2008

Thing # 5 (Week 3) Explore Flickr

I first heard about Flickr at a library workshop last spring but didn't sign up at the time. I created my Flickr account today, but I'm at home and don't have any picture of my library to upload right now. I'll do that on Tuesday if I can figure out where the blogging tool is. I did notice the similarity of the use of tags to subject headings - cataloguing gone mainstream! I was also pleased to see that the LOC has contributed some of their American Memory collection to Flickr through something called The Commons.

Searching the Flickr site for "libraries", the first photo that caught my eye was this one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/logosinberlin/359892153/
called "Timemachines" - a very appropriate title for a shelf full of books waiting to be read. I like the comment feature on Flickr that allows you to carry on a conversation with the photographer about different elements of his work.

No comments: