Sunday, January 27, 2008

Thing #8 (Week 4) Learn about RSS feeds & set up a blog reader account

Since I already have an account with Google, I used their reader to set up my RSS feed. After viewing their video, I was able to choose among several subscriptions or search for my own by keyword. Then it was a simple matter to go back to my Google desktop to add the feeds so that I can see them when I log in. Now I won't have to rely on my ever expanding list of bookmarks to keep up with events. I chose my hometown newspaper, websites on quilting, genealogy, knitting and second life.

As an experiment to see if I can "push" everyone's class blogs to my desktop as well, I tried to add them to my RSS feed account, but didn't have much success. I'll keep trying, but I think this depends on whether or not others have set up their blog for public viewing. I thought this would make it easier to keep track of everyone else's experiences.

In a school/library environment I can see feeds being used to individualize online experiences between teachers and their students.

2 comments:

LibraryStrong said...

I did put everyone's blog in my Google Reader. I had to paste each blog address (subscribe) one-by-one and click on add. Now I can read new postings as they come up.

hornetlady said...

Thanks, I'll try to do that too!